Monday, June 13, 2011

Robin Meade's "Brand New Day" in Country Music

Robin Meade visited Nashville, TN last week to attend some events at the CMA Music Festival, a 4-day country music festival held each June. We caught up with her at the City of Hope Celebrity Softball Game and asked about her latest project Brand New Day which hits Target stores and iTunes next Tuesday, June 21. You can pre-order the album on iTunes now.

How's everything going with CMA Fest?

It's good! It's good! It's my first time to come here as an artist. I came last year, you know, as a reporter covering the flood recovery. So this is a totally different vantage point, and I'm getting more worn out just meeting people, and keeping busy with everything.

Are you still doing any work or are you just kinda leaving it up to the artist thing this time?

This time around it's all artist stuff. No cameras are following me around from HLN this time.

So, have you gotten good response? I know you're selling your album early at the booth. Have you gotten good response from the fans?

Yeah! We're fortunate in that we did not get to sit down the entire time. We've been signing for two days and I'm going to sign today a little bit more. Most of them are viewers who are like 'Hey! I didn't know you are putting out a CD as well!' And most of them know Victoria Shaw who produced it and recognize her work too.

How did this album come about? Did you approach her or did she approach you?

Well, I approached her. I was hosting as a guest host The Next GAC Star a couple of years ago and I recognized her from the liner notes of the first Lady Antebellum album. I remember saying to my husband 'I'm gonna work with her some day.' and there she was! So I introduced myself and said 'I want to learn how to write, would you help me out?' a she did. She's just generous with her time and her talent. And we kept writing, we kept writing with different people like Gary Burr, John Rich, Billy Dean, and before you knew it we had an album.

Before working with her did you do any writing on your own or did she kind of push you into the songwriting?

I pushed her to teach me. I had dabbled a little bit with Ryder Lee and The Lost Trailers and Billy Dean a little bit. Then getting with her it's kinda like getting with the master class.

Have you had any interest from your friends like Billy Dean or John Rich for maybe doing some opening stuff on the weekends?

No, I haven't bothered them about that, I'm just happy to have them on the album.

So, do you think you might try to do some touring on the weekends?

Hey, in a perfect world, I think most things are already booked for this summer, but I'd like to have my butt in the anchor chair for five days and then go out and do some shows.

What about a single or maybe a music video? Any thoughts about that?

A music video is in the works. We chose a single, but a couple of DJ's have chosen their favorite and it didn't match, so I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

Jennifer Westhoven [Morning Express Personal Finance Correspondent] said she's going to be back next month. Have you seen cute little baby James yet?

I miss her! I have not seen him in person. She's in the Mommy mode. She hasn't come to the station that I know of.



This interview has been edited for clarity.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous B&C FROM NEW YORK said...

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE!!!!!
CONGRATS ON YOUR MUSIC CAREER AND YOU MAKE OUR MORNINGS SO HILARIOUSLY FUNNY KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Robin. She's real. She's fresh. She puts a song in your heart, a smile on your face, and makes you want to go out and make the world a better place. She's a real gift.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So proud of you, Robin, and the beautiful, talented woman you have become! It's an honor to have you as a family member!

9:14 PM  
Blogger donnie said...

Wow Cant wait to hear the Album,,, Robin Your Are The Best Thing My eyes Have seen since the invention of Cable TV Girl! God Bless You!

2:36 AM  
Blogger Joyce said...

What a wonderful interview!!! I previewed all of the songs on iTunes-boy is Robin a great singer! Congratulations on your success, Robin!

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Nathaniel J. kamman said...

Yay Robin!! Your fantastic southern country voice, and studio band sounds really strong... I sure want to hear an original of yours!... and your next album maybe do a Led Zeppelin tune?
- Nathaniel J. Kamman

10:48 AM  
Anonymous France said...

The first time I heard of Lady A was when they were announced as an opening act for a concert I was attending. I've NEVER been so blown away by an unknown band before, and they do NOT disappoint on their debut album! The songs have a lyrical style reminiscent of legends like Carole King and James Taylor, and the harmonies of the three singers are flawless. I especially appreciate that H. Scott and C. Kelley share lead vocal responsibilities throughout the album. A MUST HAVE for any country/folk music fan...and I even encourage Top 40 fans to give them a listen!

3:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home